Saturday, January 31, 2009

A is for Apple


My wishlist is one less today. Yesterday I started the Apple Harvest socks. I am loving the pattern and the yarn. I am using the Apple Laine Apple Pie Collection in MacIntosh. The pattern is very simple in the technique and the look. The pattern is only on the back of the leg and down to the heel. Very easy!

As I am sitting here typing this post when I think of Apples they bring me great joy. It's not the actual apple but it's what the apple signifies in my life. I know this may sound strange and yes I can quite explain it. When I was a little girl my Grandpa would always say to me " Honey you are the apple of your ole grandpa's eye" and then he would giggle his grandpa giggle. This still brings a smile to my face as I sit and think about it. For awhile I was a big huge apple collector. I had apple shelves, apple dishes, apple knick knacks apple tea towels and dishclothes apple mugs. Why did I collect apples? They made me smile. They brought warm and happy thoughts to me. Every birthday my Mom would ask me what kind of birthday cake I wanted. I never wanted a birthday cake. I wanted a birthday pie! Yes it's all true. I wanted a homemade apple pie made by Mom. There is no other! I think apples also signify the teacher in me as well. I have been a teacher in a lot of ways since I started babysitting and that lead me on to my career teaching preschool and then on to being an EA.
I really didnt expect to think like this or that apples meant so much to me. Or that there was a deeper meaning behind them. They bring warm and cozy thoughts when sometimes the skies are gray. So what better pair of socks to be knitting than a pair of "Apple Harvest" socks. I am thinking they are going to bring me feelings of warm and cozy....something I look forward to.

No comments: