Sunday, February 15, 2009

Making Good with my New Year's Goal


Well I had pledged to everyone that instead of a New Year's resolution I would set a goaf for myself. And this year's goal was to bake from scratch a homemade apple pie just like my Momma's. So yesterday Mom sent me the recipe and out to the grocery store I went. I got all of the ingredients for the pastry and made sure that I bought the "right apples".( That is for you Mom ..lol) I did indeed buy the "right" apples. Mom cant get Northern Spys in Vancouver and she swears up and down that her pies just arent the same because of that. She is most envious that I can get Spys here in Ontario. I made the pastry yesterday and let it chill overnight like I was advised to do. This morning I let the games begin. I was really nervous because Mom said that you can't over roll it but if you use to much flour to roll it out that is how you get tough pastry and it's not as flaky! Hmmm we shall see. The pastry tastes good. The pie top just doesnt look too pretty or shall I say it doesnt look like Mom's. I was worried that I wouldnt have enough dough for the top of the pie so I think it was a little skimpy. But oh well....wise words from my Mom....the first one is always the hardest!

So here is the recipe for Mom's Famous Apple Pie

Pastry:

1 Tenderflake Lard
4 rounded cups of Cake & Pastry flour
1 Tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of baking powder
1 egg
water

Cut lard into pieces and add flour. Using pastry cutter blend in the lard and flour...it will be sticky.
Add the sugar and baking powder and blend.
Slightly whisk the egg in a one cup measuring cup and then add enough water to form a scant cup.
Blend
Wrap in waxed paper and chill for a couple of hours.

When you are ready to make the crust, sprinkle c & p flour on the surface and roll it onto your rolling pin also....this is so the dough doesn't stick...although you will get some pieces that do...you may need a fair bit of flour....

Roll out on the floured surface going out from the center so you get an irregular circle. When you think the dough is thin enough, place the pie plate upside down on the pastry and cut around the pie plate about an 1" larger than the pie plate. This will ensure you don't run out of dough when you flip the pastry into the pie plate. You will have some left over so just cut along the edge of the pie plate to make a clean edge.

Mom's Perfect Apple Pie

6 or 7 tart apples - Northern Spy...because its a big pie plate I'd add 2 or 3 apples.
3/4 - 1 cup sugar
2 Tbsps of all purpose flour
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon ( I use at least l tsp, maybe a bit more)
Dash nutmeg
Dash salt
Pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
2 Tbsps butter

Pare apples and slice thin. Combine sugar, flour spices and salt and mix with apples.
Line 9-inch pie plate with passtry, fill with apple mixture, dot with butter.
Adjust top crust; sprinkle with sugar for sparkle.
Bake in hot oven - 400 degrees - 50 minutes or till done.

Good Luck....the first one is always the hardest.....

Love,
Mom

So as I am smelling the aroma of hot apple pie heating in the oven......I am going to go have a piece and see if it compares! At times like this I really do wish Mom lived closer! I do miss her!!!!xo

Thanks Mom.....for teaching me...from afar! Let's hope it compares!!!

2 comments:

Shellular Kellular said...

It doesn't matter what the top of the pie looks like after you've eaten the entire thing in one sitting :) ::AHEM:: not like I would do that or anything...

lolita vontorch said...

i agree with the top post...so how did it taste? damn you...i want a slice...can you hand deliver?